Dental Implants: What They Are & What to Expect
Having gaps in your mouth from missing teeth aren’t just not aesthetic pleasing, it also can cause a lot of problems in your mouth. Missing teeth can cause shifting teeth, gum disease, bone resorption, and more. Replacing the tooth is crucial in preventing additional dental problems down the road.
Whether you have lost a single tooth, several, or an entire arch, dental implants are the solution.
What are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a post that fits in the jawbone and replaces the tooth root. Once it is healed, it becomes a secure base to attach a dental restoration such as a crown, dental bridge, or denture.
Single dental implants are for replacing individual teeth. They are then topped with crowns to recreate the structure of your natural teeth. To replace an entire arch of teeth, four to six implants are placed and topped with a denture.
How Much Does It Cost?
The cost of getting a dental implant depends on where you go, the area of the mouth you need the implant, the amount of implants you’re getting, and the type of crown or restoration that is going to be used. If you require additional procedures to occur to be able to prepare the mouth for the implant, an additional cost will be incurred. These procedures could include tooth extractions or bone grafts. Bone grafts are needed when someone doesn’t have an adequately healthy jawbone to attach the implant.
The average cost of a single tooth implant is around $3,000 to $4,500. Full mouth dental implants cost $60,000 to $90,000. Check with your dental insurance plan to determine if your insurance covers any of the procedure.
How Long Does a Dental Implant Last?
Dental implants can last a lifetime, giving you a permanent tooth replacement option! With proper care, including good oral hygiene and regular dental checkups, implants are long-lasting. They aren’t subject to decay and have a high success rate when taken care of properly.
While the actual implant may be permanent, the attached crown can wear down after years of regular use. The crown may need to be replaced after 15-20 years.
Why Get Dental Implants?
When it comes to replacing a tooth, a dental implant has many advantages over other restoration options. Some of the benefits include:
- Safe: implants are made of titanium or zirconium, both safe for patient use and integrate successfully with the gums.
- Durable: since it is secured in the jaw, an implant gives you more security and stability than any other restorations! Unlike traditional dentures, they are not removable and don’t shift around in your mouth. This means you can enjoy your favorite foods without having to worry about it. Implants can withstand the biting force of healthy teeth.
- Improved Oral Health: replacing a missing tooth or teeth with dental implants improves your oral health by not letting the adjacent teeth shift. There is no gap for bacteria to collect and cause periodontal disease, and the bone remains healthy. With proper dental care, the implant and mouth will remain healthy.
- Permanent: Implants are designed to be a one and done procedure. They are highly successful and easy to care for, making them the best permanent replacement option.
- Cost-Effective: although the initial cost for an implant can be costly, but since it is long-lasting it shouldn’t ever need to be replaced or repaired. Other restorations are a lot less secure, more prone to damage, and need to be replaced at some point in time.
Don’t let a missing tooth hide your beautiful smile. At Downingtown Family Dentistry, we offer dental implant services that will restore your smile and have you feeling like you again!
Call 610-269-1414 today to book your Dental Implant Consultation or visit our Dental Implant Services page to learn more.